Current Career Opportunities
as of May 22, 2020
Durwest Construction Management is in search of an Assistant Superintendent who will form part of our Victoria High School (Vic High) Team. The Assistant Superintendent will be responsible for supervision of own forces and trades under the direction of the Site Superintendent. The ideal candidate has an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the construction industry and extensive field construction experience in seismic upgrades of concrete and steel structures. This is a unique role in that it will include standard coordination tasks but also requires an in depth understanding and ability to interpret drawings and review onsite construction.
This position will be stationed at the Durwest Site office at Victoria High School, 1260 Grant St., and is scheduled to begin in July 2020 with a duration of approximately 2 years.
The Victoria High School Seismic Upgrade and Addition project consists of extensive modifications to the existing school to meet current building codes; upgrades to mechanical and electrical systems; renovations to interior spaces; exterior building envelope remediation; and the construction of a new concrete and steel addition. Seismic upgrades will be accomplished through selective demolition to prepare for the construction of several large interior concrete shear walls with associated structural steel drag struts and connections. Valued at over $50 million, this project will be delivered using a fast-tracked method whereby design, sequential permitting and tendering will parallel construction in the early phases.
- Report to the Site Superintendent to update on activities such as project schedules, quality control and field operations
- Communicate and coordinate with stakeholders regularly to ensure ongoing operations are maintained
- Effectively communicate with own forces and trades to ensure that performance, productivity, quality, and safety requirements are met
- Consistently collaborate with the Superintendent, Construction Manager and project team. Advise site superintendent of potential problems, work interferences, schedule difficulties, etc.
- Monitor and execute the project construction plan and schedule
- Review and understand the contract and subcontracts, including scopes of work, time and materials rates, etc.
- Ability to think critically, solve problems and work with others to obtain the team orientated goals and results for the project
- Promote and monitor occupational health and safety culture within the organization and site
- Effectively and accurately communicate relevant project information to the client and project team daily
- Review field inspection reports from Consultants throughout the lifecycle of the project and address action items as required
- In collaboration with the Construction Coordinator, review trade contractor extra work orders to ensure accuracy of time and materials claimed
- Participate and facilitate site meetings
- Assist in preparation of short-term schedules
- Journeyman certificate or post-secondary diploma in construction management / engineering degree in a related discipline
- Sound understanding of construction documents, drawings, specifications and current construction practices and methodology. Knowledge of construction building materials, mechanical and electrical systems and drawing coordination
- 5+ years of experience in supporting Project Managers/Site Superintendent in the delivery of construction projects
- Understanding of project scope and ability to apply basic engineering principles to resolve constructability challenges
- Understanding of project schedules and ability to identify the critical path
- Effective communication skills including verbal, written and people management
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively manage time, responsibilities and priorities
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team-based environment
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Proficient in MS Project, MS Office suite and strong overall IT skills
- Procore certification an asset
When Applying – Please reference “Assistant Superintendent – Vic High”. Only candidates being considered will be contacted.
Interested applicants should forward cover letter, detailed resume and references in confidence to:
Allison Greaves; Human Resources Manager
Durwest Construction Management Inc
301-4400 Chatterton Way
Victoria, BC V8X 5J2
Durwest is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified peoples to apply.