Durwest offers a proactive and collaborative management style and has a proven track record of providing the leadership necessary to build a cohesive team. Our success is demonstrated through recurring business, over multiple Commercial Building Awards, and unparalleled staff engagement and focus.
Durwest is a progressive employer and supports its staff members for career growth and development to achieve a high level of professional standards. The comprehensive remuneration package for staff includes a competitive salary, employer supported training and education and among the best extended benefit packages in the industry.
Current Career Opportunities
as of September 21, 2022
Durwest specializes in the management of multi-unit residential, commercial and institutional construction projects from concept to completion. We have provided Project and Construction Management services for public and private sector clients primarily on Vancouver Island for over 35 years. With our head office located in Victoria, BC we currently manage projects ranging in construction value of $1 million -70 million.
Durwest Construction Management is in search of a Construction Manager who will form part of our Operations team. The Construction Manager will be responsible for overall supervision and coordination of project construction, scheduling, and budgets. He/She will be directly responsible for managing a project coordinator and developing and mentoring their growth within the organization. The Construction Manager reports directly to the VP, Operations and will have the ability to maintain strong stakeholder relationships.
- Provide overall construction management from pre-construction to completion including design coordination, budget, and schedule in conjunction with the project team
- Achieve project schedule commitments within the financial targets
- Prepare, review, and submit timely and accurate billings for owners and ensure timely payment of subcontractor billings
- Ensure site safety and environmental standards are met or exceeded
- Regularly meet with Owners, Consultants, Architects and other project stakeholders in a professional manner and communicate effectively both the concerns and best interests of the client
- Monitor, interpret and forecast a project’s cost report ensuring they are in line with estimates
- Ensure that projects are built according to approved plans, specifications, shop drawings and applicable building codes and ensure that quality standards are met
- Submit project reports to operations and communicate with management about project progress and areas of risk
- Provide clear direction to team members and delegate workload to capitalize on individual and group strengths while ensuring balanced exposure to work experience and development opportunities
- 5+ years of experience managing construction projects in ICI sector or multi-family residential sector
- Degree/Diploma in Engineering, Project/Construction Management or an equivalent combination of technical training and experience
- Sound understanding of construction documents, drawings, specifications and current construction practices and methodology
- Strong understanding of the construction management delivery model
- Effective communication skills including verbal, written and people management
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to effectively manage time, responsibilities, and priorities
- Ability to think critically, solve problems and work with others to obtain the team orientated goals and results for the project(s).
- Proven leadership abilities
- Self-starter and entrepreneurial mindset
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing conditions
- Proficient in MS Project, MS Office suite and strong overall IT skills
- Previous experience working with Procore is considered an asset
Please note that frequent travel to job sites will be required.
Durwest is in search of a Superintendent who will take control of all site activities and provide leadership and guidance to the project team, including own forces and trades. The ideal candidate has the skills and experience needed to successfully take a project from start to finish including development and execution of detailed construction schedules, quality & cost control and problem solving. The Superintendent is key to delivering a project that meets the needs of our clients.
Construction of two new 4-storey multi-family apartment buildings that will provide 97 new affordable rental units, improvements to the existing underground parkade, and site improvements.
- Oversee and accountable for management of the construction site team, including coaching and mentoring
- Accountable for scheduling of subcontractors, consultants, inspectors, and vendors
- Monitor work and materials to ensure quality control standards are met
- Monitor and execute the project construction plan and schedule
- Identify potential problems, work interferences, schedule difficulties, etc. and provide solutions and action plans
- Think critically, solve problems and work with others to obtain the team orientated goals and results for the project
- Review and understand the contract and subcontracts, including scopes of work, time and materials rates, etc.
- Collaborate with engineers, subcontractors and project stakeholders to determine project needs
- Communicate with the project team and support each subcontractor to execute job duties effectively and efficiently
- Project Stakeholder management
- Perform inspections or schedule inspectors to meet the varying safety and compliance regulations of each job
- Identify and resolve problems and conflicts, organizing meetings and cooperating with team members in various roles as necessary
- Prepare progress reports and issue progress schedules
- Support Safety staff and ensure all site safety measures are met
- 5+ years’ experience in a Superintendent role on similar projects, preferably in a Construction Management environment
- Experience on previous mid-rise wood frame multi-family projects
- Journeyman certificate or post-secondary diploma in construction management / engineering degree in a related discipline an asset
- Demonstrated experience assuming overall responsibility for all on-site construction activities
- Excellent understanding of construction both technically and contractually
- Strong knowledge of WorksafeBC regulations
- Sound understanding of construction documents, drawings, specifications and current construction practices and methodology. Knowledge of construction building materials, mechanical and electrical systems and drawing coordination
- Proven experience in successfully leading design and construction teams, trade contractors and site crews
- Understanding of project scope and ability to apply basic engineering principles to resolve constructability challenges
- Understanding of project schedules and ability to identify the critical path
- Effective communication skills, strong work ethic, positive attitude and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively manage time, responsibilities and priorities
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team-based environment
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Proficient in MS Project, MS Office suite and strong overall IT skills
- Procore certification an asset.
CARPENTERS / LABOURERS / APPRENTICES
Durwest has excellent opportunities available for Journeymen/women, Apprentice Carpenters & Labourers to join a growing team of construction professionals on projects in Greater Victoria. Durwest has opportunities for advancement and encourages internal growth and development. Duties include a variety of tasks, successful candidates will possess a strong work ethic, excellent safety record and have proven skills in the trade.
Interested applicants should forward cover letter, detailed resume and references in confidence to:
Allison Greaves (she/her) – Human Resources Manager
Durwest Construction Management Inc
301-4400 Chatterton Way
Victoria, BC V8X 5J2
or call 250-881-7878
While we appreciate all interest in Durwest career opportunities, only candidates being considered will be contacted.
Durwest is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Please submit your application, and if there is a fit we will be in touch!