Durwest offers a proactive and collaborative management style and has a proven track record of providing the leadership necessary to build a cohesive team. Our success is demonstrated through recurring business, over multiple Commercial Building Awards, and unparalleled staff engagement and focus.
Durwest is a progressive employer and supports its staff members for career growth and development to achieve a high level of professional standards. The comprehensive remuneration package for staff includes a competitive salary, employer supported training and education and among the best extended benefit packages in the industry.
Current Career Opportunities
as of April 21, 2022
We are looking for an outstanding, energetic person with a ‘willing to help’ attitude to join our team and add a great personality to our space! The office assistant is the critical first point of contact for everyone who comes to our space or calls the office. We are looking for some who embodies our core values and enjoys the work they do! This position is part-time (approx. 20 hrs/week) and offers flexible working hours. Durwest is a progressive and inclusive employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
- Have a great, CAN DO attitude!
- Are passionate about helping others
- Love to work with a variety of people
- Are looking for a long-term career
Then we want to speak to you!
What will you do?
- General reception duties, including answering phones, ordering office supplies, facilitating incoming and outgoing couriers, purchasing office groceries, etc.
- Participate in event planning and execution
- Assist project teams by:
- Purchasing contract seals from Construction Association
- Ordering and tracking drawings
- Set up and maintain project files using Procore
- Set up meetings and manage boardroom bookings
- Assist Project Managers/Coordinators with compiling and preparing maintenance manuals, warranty materials and product data summaries
- Assist Project Coordinators as required
- Provide administrative support to Accounting dept. as required
What’s in it for you?
- Be part of a team with an excellent reputation in the community
- Competitive hourly wage
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Profit sharing
- Tuition re-imbursement for value-add training
- Employee referral program
- Fun company events!
Durwest Construction Management is looking for a specialized Superintendent to join our existing team of professionals on projects at the Victoria Airport.
Durwest is a prominent builder on Vancouver Island and promotes internal growth and continued learning in all aspects of our business. Our success is attributed to the high standards we set for quality work, integrity, detailed approach and customer service while creating long-lasting relationships. Durwest supports community involvement and building an internal culture of mentorship and development; we are seeking long term commitment as part of the Durwest team!
The successful candidate will have a proven track record as an exemplary Superintendent. He or She has experience working with large institutions, ideally airports, and managing large groups of stakeholders and multiple projects at one time. The projects will be taking place in occupied buildings where the public is present. Work in post security locations will also be taking place. Juggling multiple demands and an excellent eye for detail will be critical for the Superintendent to succeed. The successful candidate can take multiple projects from start to finish including development and execution of detailed construction schedules and demonstrates exceptional skills in quality, cost control and problem solving to ensure the projects meet the needs and objectives of the client. Strong leadership, collaboration and communication will serve as the foundation for building cohesive teams that consistently meet client and industry demands. This position will appeal to an individual seeking long-term employment with opportunities for career advancement.
- 5 + years of previous experience as a Superintendent, preferably on institutional projects
- In depth knowledge of all construction phases
- Demonstrated experience assuming overall responsibility for all on-site construction activities
- Excellent understanding of construction both technically and contractually
- Strong knowledge of WorksafeBC & BC Building Code regulations & requirements
- Advanced skills in developing an in-depth understanding of the project drawings, specifications, schedules, contracts and ensuring all materials and work comply with the contract documents and quality specifications
- Proficient in MS Office Suite & MS Project. Procore experience an asset
- Willingness to coach, mentor and foster growth in all direct reports
- Must demonstrate initiative and leadership skills with the ability and willingness to face challenges, solve problems and motivate others to ensure our customer’s expectations and requirements are met
- High standards in Client Relations and Customer Service
Durwest Construction Management is in search of a Project Coordinator who will form an integral part of our team. The Project Coordinator will be responsible for organizing and maintaining project and contract administration under the direction of the Construction Manager & VP, Operations. The ideal candidate will have previous knowledge and understanding of the construction industry, field construction experience and requires an in depth understanding and ability to interpret construction documents.
- Report to the Construction Manager
- Communicate and coordinate with stakeholders and trades as required to ensure ongoing operations are maintained.
- Maintain project administration correspondence, and ensure compliance with documentation requirements.
- Communicate and coordinate with trade contractors to ensure performance and scheduling.
- Effectively participate on a project team of Architects, Consultants and Trade Contractors.
- Think critically, solve problems and work with others to obtain the team orientated goals and results for the project(s).
- Effectively and accurately communicate relevant project information to the project team daily.
- Review field inspection reports from Consultants throughout the lifecycle of the project and address action items as required.
- Review, distribute and track shop drawings
- Review trade contractor and supplier quotations to ensure accuracy on pricing.
- Track and manage RFI’s, Site Instructions and Change orders as they apply to the construction drawings.
- Attend site meetings and prepare/issue meeting minutes.
- Assist in preparation of short-term schedules, estimating & drawing review
- Post-Secondary training in Construction Management or a related field, an asset.
- Familiarity with construction documents, drawings, specifications and current construction practices and methodology
- Co-op experience supporting Project Managers/Construction Managers in the delivery of construction projects is an asset
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with aptitude in building relationships and credibility with project stakeholders at all levels
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic, positive attitude, and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to analyze data and prepare reports
- Comfortable ‘thinking outside the box’ and making suggestions for efficiencies and optimizing operations
- Ability to effectively manage time, responsibilities and priorities, often managing multiple demands simultaneously
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team based environment
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing conditions
- Proficient in MS Project, MS Office suite, Procore Project Management Software and strong overall IT skills
CARPENTERS / LABOURERS / APPRENTICES
Durwest has excellent opportunities available for Journeymen/women, Apprentice Carpenters & Labourers to join a growing team of construction professionals on projects in Greater Victoria. Durwest has opportunities for advancement and encourages internal growth and development. Duties include a variety of tasks! Successful candidates will possess a strong work ethic, excellent safety record and have proven skills in the trade. Durwest offers a competitive compensation package including a first-rate Group Benefits Plan.
Interested applicants should forward cover letter, detailed resume and references in confidence to:
Allison Greaves – Human Resources Manager
Durwest Construction Management Inc
301-4400 Chatterton Way
Victoria, BC V8X 5J2
or call 250-881-7878
While we appreciate all interest in Durwest career opportunities, only candidates being considered will be contacted.
Durwest is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Please submit your application, and if there is a fit we will be in touch!